Galway’s only dedicated Memory Care Home with a highly trained team in dementia and Alzheimer care.
Cllr Joe Byrne and Dáithí Ó Sé have opened a specialist Memory Care Centre in Kilcolgan Nursing Home, Co Galway – specialised person-centred care for people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s, giving peace of mind for families knowing that a loved one is receiving expert care, attention, stimulation and support in a secure and compassionate community.
Kilcolgan Memory Care Centre, managed by Mowlam Healthcare, currently operates 30 nursing homes around the country including specialist Memory Care Centres in New Ross, Co Wexford and Adare, Co Limerick. Memory Care is our model of person-centred specialist care for people designed to ease the symptoms of dementia for an enhanced quality of life, and empower individuals through the appropriate therapy – and will contribute to the ongoing enhancement of care for the residents of Kilcolgan Nursing Home.
Kilcolgan Memory Care Centre has been designed with dementia-friendly décor and all the comforts of home for those living with dementia, Alzheimer’s and other forms of memory loss. Our memory care programme is built around a deep understanding of residents, their individual needs and wishes, and all aspects of their lives.
TV personality Dáithí Ó Sé, Ambassador for Alzheimer’s Society of Ireland:
“I am so impressed with this facility it is an extension of what people have at home and in their community. It allows us to fit into peoples’ lives and meet their needs”
Cllr Joe Byrne
“We are privileged to have this new and impressive facility in Galway. This will enable those with dementia to live with dignity in the most appropriate setting.”
CEO of Mowlam Healthcare Pat Shanahan:
“We are delighted to be able to open this specialist Memory Care Centre for those living with dementia in the Galway community. The Centre offers both short term respite care and long term care. I would like to sincerely thank our Director of Nursing Majella Kelly-Dolan and her dedicated staff for their hard work and commitment to this unique facility”.
Director of Nursing Majella Kelly-Dolan:
“I am so proud to be part of the Memory Care Centre journey in Galway, it’s a new concept and will provide much needed care for those with dementia. This is a caring, bright and welcoming facility staffed by a highly trained and compassionate team of people”.
For more information on Memory Care or if you are interested in discussing the availability of beds, please contact Majella Kelly-Dolan, Director of Nursing, Kilcolgan Nursing Home, 091 776446 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- The number of people with dementia in Ireland is expected to more than double over the next 20 years, from 55,000 today to 113,000 in 2036.
- Dementia is progressive. There is currently no cure. Dementia is not simply a health issue but a social issue that requires a community response.
- Each year over 4,000 people develop dementia. That’s at least 11 people every day and anyone can get dementia – even people in their 30s/40s/50s.
- The overall cost of dementia care in Ireland is just over €1.69 billion per annum; 48% of this is attributable to family care; 43% is accounted for by residential care; formal health and social care services contribute only 9% to the total cost.
Figures referenced to Cahill, S. & Pierce, M. (2013) The Prevalence of Dementia in Ireland
About Mowlam Healthcare:
The largest and one of the most respected providers of nursing home care in Ireland, with 30 locations throughout the country. Mowlam is a national healthcare leader, committed to clinical excellence, compassion, and improving the health outcomes for older people in their care. Everyone’s clear focus is ‘To Enhance the Quality of Life for Older People’ – this is The Mowlam Way.
Mowlam is leading the way in Ireland with a unique Continuum of Care offering – the most appropriate care, in the most appropriate setting, supporting people who need additional care, or specialised services, offering seamless transitions through levels of clinical care, as a person’s health care needs change.
Mowlam Healthcare provides a comprehensive range of specialist care services:
- Health Care At Home – Home Help, Home Nursing Care & Community Support
- Transitional Care – rehabilitation, post-acute medical care and step down care
- Residential Care – respite care, dementia care, long term care, complex care and palliative care.
Our care follows critical and clinical best practice, focusing on optimal outcomes for our residents, and reduced hospitalisations.